Monday, April 6, 2009

With Jane in Antigua, Guatemala

Hola Amigos, It´s been great being back with Jane. We are staying with the same family we stayed with 2 years ago. In some ways I feel right at home. We´ve been learning about a ministry here called God´s Child PROJECT. A Korean nurse, Carmela, who is at the same house works there. The are working with kids facing some of the same challenges our work in Honduras is confronting. They are further along so we´re getting some good ideas. Right now it´s Holy Week in Antigua which is a religious center in Guatemala. They go all out, with flower murals in the streets, processions carrying representations of the events of Christ´s last week leading up to the Crucifixion. Yesterday, Palm Sunday, I thought how Jesus´ entry into Jerusalem reflected ahead to that day coming in the future when He will return as King. I read Psalm 84, which talks about the joy of living where God lives, where God is King: the Temple. Then I thought of how I can make this place, this corner where I find myself, God´s Temple. How do I claim ground for God´s Kingdom ? The psalm makes it sound like bringing justice, especially to the poor, is a good place to start. Hope you´re all well. I´m planning to hike up a volcano tomorrow. Hasta lluego. Gilberto.

No comments: