Thursday, August 13, 2009

On the lake and under the falls

Hi friends, We've been carrying on work at the children's home and the schools. Jane's more or less recovered from the virus that had been plaguing her. She is happy about losing some weight. I'm glad she's gettting her energy back. We found a gym with a swimming pool, where she can go and that is her favorite exercise. I've been going with her and am feeling much more comfortable in the water. Maybe I'll try one of those just for fun triathelons...?

When we first came down here for 2 weeks at a time we wondered how we could make much difference in such a short time. Now We've been here 6 months and I still feel the same way. You see a lot that needs changing. You get to know people and see what they're up against and wonder what will happen 6 months down the road. I hope we've communicated that we care and left some good memories. I guess every goodbye is preparation for the last goodbye.

I've been talking to the kids about setting goals ( paso a paso a su pasion) and eating healthy so they'll be in shape to get there. I continue to work with a great group of poor, mostly unsupported women who have been working to make a living through microbusiness cottage industry. They liked the goal setting exercises, too. I'm encouraging them to make a personal contract, with a specific measurable step tied to their calendar, each week.

My latest project is to ge a basketball hoop set up at the children's home. Where do you find one around here? I found an idea on line for recycling an old bike into a hoop, using the handlebars, fork, and a wheel rim. Wish me luck.

Jane and I got off last week, celebrating her recovery and bringing a teacher from the school who was needing a refreshing. We went to Lake Yojoa, the one big lake in Honduras. It is the place to see birds, so we got up early, 530am, and hopped into a leaky boat rowed by an eight year old boy. He did good! I spelled him a couuple times and realized he was a much better rower than I. We wandered around the shoreline through sub tropical rain forest checking out the myriad trees, plants, butterflies, and other crawling creatures. Later we went to Pulhapanzak Falls. We didn't just look at this incredible falls 15 meters high, we went under it and behind it. Led by a guide we braved the "firehose" spray' sometimes holding on to each other so as not to fall down and not get lost, since we could barely open our eyes in that churning water. By the end I was washed ,rinsed ,and put through the ringer. What a rush!

Jane and I are reading Job, Do we serve God for love of Him or to get a blessing?Look at Job 13.15 In the morning I'm reading Acts, lately realizing how God is working in many many people all around me, even those I'd never suspect. He's a surprising God.

For you bird lovers, I think I identified the bird that every morning wakes us up singing "Did you pray?" He's an ocellated quail, Im pretty sure. Hope you're all well. Hasta luego! Gilberto.

No comments: