Friday, July 31, 2009

Healing the Scars

Hi friends, this last week was quite a different experience for me. I joined with a team that included a doctor and 3 nurses (counting myself) but we weren´t treating people as patients. The team was engaged in praying for healing in the lives of the children and staff here at San Buenaventura and Flor del Campo. I was very flattered and challenged to be asked to translate for the team. I have often prayed for this ministry but it was different praying for each person individually and with the expectation that God´s Holy Spirit was near and willing to heal broken spirits and scarred hearts. At the same time I´m reading the New Testament book of Acts how God´s Holy Spirit was daily transforming individuals and communities. It´s got me thinking, too often we box God up with our ¨religion¨ and we need the faith to let Him loose right down here where we live our lives.

We´ve been here now almost 5 months and have only 5 or 6 weeks left. I´m thinking a lot about what kind of impact we´ve had, if and how and who might carry on the work we started. The Saturday hikes have helped me to make friends with a lot of kids, I´m going to miss them. I will be looking around for someone who´d like to to keep on with the hikes. I guess my biggest goal is to leave them with some really happy memories.

Though this is short I´m going to publish it. I´ll be back soon with some more of the story.

No comments: