Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Gil's Oregon Trail-Sunday in Corvallis to Albany

Hello Again!

Thought I'd go to church, today. I'm not sure where my friends go, so I picked a Presbyterian Church like my home church back in Seattle.The church was planted by a Presbyterian missionary named John Hannah back in the mid 1800's  The text of the sermon was Jesus' visit to John the Baptist. John saw right off who Jesus was. "It's me who needs to be baptized by you!" Jesus insists. He is the reality the Hope stood for. The Messiah has come as a human being. I understood something... that God is enlivening his Word. Not just then but right now! Jesus inhabits his Word. As real as flesh and blood. At that time God gave His stamp by His Spirit: there was the sign of God's Peace, the Dove and there was the voice coming from the Fire ( like the Burning Bush in Moses story) a sign of God's Eternal Presence. Good thoughts to carry with me as I wander in the "wilderness".

I had planned to visit the fair, but sadly I was too late, things had closed down. I've been fortunate, days have been in the 80's, though nights are cold. I think a blanket might be better to carry than my sleeping bag, except for the weight. Maybe a poly-fill 'throw' would work. Vistas very beautiful in the AM, with the sun coming up in the east and everything golden, even the trees are into the golden thing with Fall peering over the mountain ridges. Clouds are moving in and the chance of rain is 20%. I pass the Jackson Frazier wetland, a great place for bird watching. Plants include Bradshaw's Lomatium and Checker Mallow. Queen Anne's Lace is everywhere in the Willamet Valley. 

I leave Corvallis by the north and east pedaling into Albany. Sunday's not the best time to arrive in a new town. I couldn't find any shops open, especially bike shops. I missed not having a map. After getting a little frazzled, I decided to slow down. A blackberry sundae at the Mr Freeze helped immensely, I recommend it. I started cruising up and down the streets of old Albany looking at old, old houses, kind of like Port Townsend, but more of them. I roamed Bryant Park which spreads across both sides of the Willamett. I sat on a picnic bench and listened to a Mexican Oompah band, playing for a private barbeque. Then there were the ducks, almost doing head-stands with their rear-ends in the air, while they dabbled for vegetation. More later...

No comments: