Friday, October 15, 2010

Flor del Campo

Hola!

Here I am , back in Tegucigalpa. Traffic has always been bad in this town. Teguz is splayed over dozens of hills and cut up by deep ravines and has grown like an amoeba, while streets and roads are more like heart by-pass surgery around clogged arteries. Recently a cavernous hole eroded in the middle of a main highway that has forced cars, buses, trucks, taxis, motorcycles, etc. up alleys and back streets to get around the blockage. It takes twice as long to get where you're going, but some buses that didn't work before do work now (and vice versa).

For us who are used to hot water showers, that's not something you can take for granted here. My friends, practice true southern hospitality and in consideration for gringo sensibilities, heat up water on the stove. I then, drawing on yankee ingenuity, mix it with cold water in a bucket and pour it over my head, a little at a time. I think it saves water and electricity. For breakfast it's typical to have refried beans, fried plantain, cheese ( think cottage cheese but solid and salty), and tortillas. It's pretty common to have sweet black coffee or fruit juice. Alternatively they often serve oatmeal ( mostly hot sweet milk with cinnamon sticks thrown in) or "panqueques" (pancakes). If you miss breakfast there's always the pulperia next door. These little shops are on every block, and sell mostly everything you shouldn't be eating: chips, cheetos, pop, candy, cookies, and gum.

After I said goodbye to Jenny and her family, I got on the bus ( an old American school bus repainted and renamed "Carlita" , with a "Taz" "Back Off!" sticker on one end and a picture of the Virgin and the words "Dios es mi Guia" ( God is my Guide) on the other. There's a beefed up sound system blaring the latest "Regaton" (rap) hits. The music does vary, other buses play ranchero music or even Christian music. On my 6 hour trip from Trujillo to San Pedro Sulas we listened to non stop romantic pop... in English! Did I tell you I was missing Jane?

I got to the Flor del Campo school early. This school has over 200 enrolled from kindergarten to 6th grade. The classrooms are small and usually packed with 25-30 children. I have come to appreciate those good teachers who know how to keep order in a classroom, because having a gringo speaking "Spanish" and throwing out lots of questions, can cause a little disruption. Still, the kids seemed to get what I was talking about and were sometimes way ahead of me. I left every class shaking hands right and left . I felt like I was on the road to win an election! Gil Ward leading the Birthday Party.

After school let out I went to meet a friend of mine, I'll call him Guillermo, a former handyman at the children's home. He'd been through a rough stretch, after getting laid off, he got to drinking. His wife moved out taking the children and it just got worse. Remember my friend Juan? He took G. to AA, but it just didn't take. Then another Christian friend took him to church. This time G. made a turn around. He's been going to this church almost every day for a couple of months. The brothers and sisters at this church are serious about reaching and saving the lost. When he doesn't come they go looking for him around the neighborhood, even checking in the bars. Now the pastor and G. have each others cell numbers, so he can check in. G. is working on his relationship with his wife, they are attending marriage seminars at another church . I share this, to encourage prayer for my friend, his wife , and his children. This story shows the church as a family looking after it's own. That's an example to us.

That night I stayed with Juan and Isidra. Juan is a reader, and unlike many Hondurans his house is packed with books , which may explain his dedication to the local library project. So after he whips up a healthy "celery smoothie" we sit down and talk about religion and politics. His brother Mahatma Martin is staying with him for a couple weeks before rejoining his wife in Germany. MM is a professional violinist working with an orchestra in Costa Rica and it's there that he met his wife, who is German. We're talking now about children in Honduras, especially poor children and the challenge of helping them to widen their horizons. I mention taking kids on hikes, Juan brings up books, and Martin tells a story about playing his violin in some barrio schools in San Jose. Juan points to the pervading influence of TV ( even homes without plumbing or refrigeration will have a TV) and how it makes kids want things but doesn't show them how to get them ( setting goals, learning skills, solving problems, etc...) It makes me think anew about my responsibility as a mentor... Who am I teaching? What am I teaching? Who were my examples? What did I learn? Am I just expecting things to " happen" somehow?

That night we go next door to visit Juan's stepson, who's 16 year old son is having a birthday. We do something different from other birthdays I've been to. Holding hands, each one present: mother, father, uncles, aunts, cousins, guests, etc ... shares some hope or dream or expression of pride or thanks for the young man... then we blow out the candles. I like it! We should say more things like this out loud.

On this note let me say, Goodnight, see you tomorrow!

Gil.

No comments: